As the tablet computers have brought the revolution in electronic world likewise sensors in them are playing the vital role to make them more success. Much better the sensors more better the tablet.
The input is fed to the tablet through these sensors so it need to be the smooth one to deal with.
Measurement of motion, orientation, and various environmental conditions is performed by the built in sensors in most of the android devices. Sensors are provide raw data with high precision and accuracy, and are useful if we want to monitor three-dimensional device movement or positioning, or we want to monitor changes in the ambient environment near a device .From the gravity sensors a game can track the readings to infer complex user gestures and motions, such as tilt, shake, rotation, or swing. Likewise, a weather application might use a device’s temperature sensor and humidity sensor to calculate and report the dew point, or a travel application might use the geomagnetic field sensor and accelerometer to report a compass bearing.
The three categories of sensors are:
- Motion sensors-This category includes accelerometers, gravity sensors, gyroscopes, and rotational vector sensors. This sensor measures acceleration forces and rotational forces along three axes.
- Environmental sensors- This category includes barometers, photometers, and thermometers. This sensor measures various environmental parameters, such as ambient air temperature and pressure, illumination, and humidity.
- Position sensors-This category includes orientation sensors and magnetometers. This sensor measures the physical position of a device
Android sensor framework let us access many types of sensors which includes hardware-based and software-based. Hardware-based sensors are physical components built into a tablet . Software-based sensors derive their data from one or more of the hardware-based sensors and are sometimes called virtual sensors or synthetic sensors.
Types of sensors:
- Accelerometer- It is hardware type and the main function of this is to sense the changes in the orientation of smart-phone and adjust the orientation to suit the viewing angle of operator.
- Ambient Temperature- It is also a hardware type sensor which measures the room temperature.
- Gravity- It is of both software and hardware type. It works with a weight inside something like a tube. Judging by where the weight is, the phone can tell if you turn it left or right, up or down. It is for motion detection.
- Gyroscope- This is of hardware type and senses the angular momentum and thus used for rotation purposes as in games.
- Light- It is of hardware type and thus responsible for the control of density and level of brightness.
- Proximity sensors- It is of hardware type and senses the nearby object thus prevents the unwanted touch input when users phone is near to the ear.
- E-compass- It is of hardware type for sensing magnetic field and is used in for the purpose of compass and GPS.
This is all about the sensors who are making the tablet era a successful.